Free Search (10912 images)
ESA technology in motor sports
Rating: 0.00/5 (0 votes cast)
- Title ESA technology in motor sports
- Released 05/05/2006 2:32 pm
- Copyright Speedpics.nl
The custom-built top-performance Pescarolo racing cars that took part in the Le Mans series of endurance races in 2003, 2004 and 2005 were constructed using technologies developed for European space programmes. Advanced space technologies were used to improve the performance in three areas:
- Stiff and light satellite composite materials have been used to reinforce the chassis and reduce the weight improving the car's aerodynamic performance and driving stability
- Insulation materials from the European launcher Ariane have been installed to limit heat transmission from engine and exhaust and make the car safer
- Hybrid bearings from satellite instruments and Ariane fuel pumps have been used to reduce friction and lower weight, thereby improving performance and speed.
Here is seen the 2004 Pescarolo-Judd prototype at the Spa racing circuit 17 April 2005.