Free Search (10891 images)
Artemis solar array deployment test in ESTEC's facilities.
Rating: 0.00/5 (0 votes cast)
- Title Artemis solar array deployment test in ESTEC's facilities.
- Released 17/03/2009 9:27 pm
- Copyright ESA - A.Van Der Geest
Artemis solar array deployment test in ESTEC's facilities. Carrying three payloads plus a number of experiments, Artemis (Advanced Relay and Technology Mission Satellite) was developed for testing and operating new telecommunications techniques.
The L-band mobile payload allows two-way voice and data communications, via satellite, between fixed Earth stations and land mobiles - trucks, trains or cars - anywhere in Europe and North Africa.
Artemis carries two payloads for communications directly between satellites, which receive data from low-Earth-orbiting satellites and transmit them directly to Europe:
- a laser-optical relay terminal called SILEX
- a double S/Ka-band terminal called SKDR
Artemis was launched on 12 July 2001 aboard an Ariane 5 launcher.